dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beefy SS Wheelset Build

Hello All,

It's been a couple of years since I've been on here. I've been super busy finishing up my schooling, but I've finally graduated and am wanting to get back into biking for both pleasure and to loose the weight I've gained.

I have the same bike I built 2 years ago, and it just isn't cutting it for me. I have 2 problems with the bike.

First, I break rear derailleurs like no other. I have had the bike for 2 years and have been through 4 rear derailleurs due to sticks bouncing up into them and pushing them into the rear wheel. My solution to fixing the rear derailleur problem is to convert the bike to a SS. No rear derailleur means no rear derailleur to break, and seeing as I almost only ride single track with limited elevation change, I'm not that concerned with loosing gearing.

My second problem is what I came here for.

I weight 270#'s and my current rear wheel just hasn't been able to handle how hard I ride and how much I weigh. I have to true it after nearly every other ride, so I decided that I was going to build my own wheel set and build it to be super beefy.

I have a few rims and hubs that I am looking at, and would just like some advice about experience others have had and any recommendations.

here is a link to my current rear wheel, just so you know what I am currently having problems with.

One of my questions is how large is the strength difference between 32 and 36H wheels? My current wheel is a 32 spoke. Will going to a 36 give my that extra strength I need, or do I need a stronger rim also (I am planning on getting a new rim either way)?

I have 2 different rims I am currently looking into. The first is Alex Supra BH. The second is Sun Ringle MTX-33. I have no good reasoning behind these rims except there fit in my price range and appear to be pretty strong, so I am open to pretty much any and all recommendations.

I have only 1 hub set in mind. Both Front and Rear are Surly Ultra 36H.

I chose these because they are the only hubs that I could find that were designed for mountain bikes, single speed, and disc brakes that were in my price range.

Now for the last thing. The price range that I keep mentioning is $300. I am open to any and all suggestions that would allow me to build my front and rear under that price (I know I didn't include spokes and nipples in the price, I'm keeping their price secret from the wife so I have that little extra for the rims and hubs)