View Single Post
Old 09-24-05, 09:53 PM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife is 5'1 and recently purchased a Trek 1000 43cm road bike. The fit is fine for her, although I need to purchase a new more upright stem. Trek makes other womens specific sized bikes too, but you would have to try some to see if they fit you. Terry bikes are great also and Georgina Terry really pioneered the correct bike fit for women under 5' and over too. The most important thing to do is to try different bikes to make sure that they fit you correctly. Check stand over height, reach from the seat to the handlebars, stem length, handlebar width, and even brake lever reach. The reason that I bring these up is that about 15 years ago I built my wife a new road bike because nothing out there fit her. Took a 44 cm Vitus aluminum frame and fork and used a very short stem, narrow handlebars, womens seat , and short reach brake levers. It is a lot easier today to buy a complete bike to fit a woman than years ago. Good luck !