View Single Post
Old 10-10-13, 04:39 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5778 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Thanks. But why do some Phil Wood radial contact bearing hubs have no play at all after thousands of miles and other Phil Wood hubs have noticeable play when new even though they have similar design? If the reason is variance in tolerance then I think my original concern about out of box quality may have merit...

I do appreciate the education here though as I did not realize the differences in bearing design could mean so much.

So, if the play (which is more than 1/32 but certainly less than 1/16) is still of concern to me, I guess you are saying it must be the bearing itself and replacing the bearings may or may not fix the play, depending on the particular bearing that is put in (some are tighter than others?).

As additional info, my LBS who is a Phil Wood dealer pointed out the play to me and they thought it was excessive.
No the play isn't (or shouldn't be) in the bearings which are produced with correct radial preload, and some axial play. However bearing makers hold excellent tolerances, and the variation is in the relative positions of the locating shoulders in the hub shell and axle.

The redial play won't change with age, until the bearing nears the end of it's service life, at which it'll begin to change quickly (relatively).

One thing that some producers of hubs with similar design is to not press one of the bearings fully to the shoulder in the shell (or axle). I don't know if Phil does this during assembly, in which case you might have created the play via your assembly sequence.

No promises, but if you remove the axle, tap one bearing out a hair in the shell, (or out on the axle) then reassemble and let the last step drive the bearing home, you might have zero play. This will leave a slight axial preload which must be resolved with a gentle tap with a wooden mallet (or hammer handle).

BTW- a working definition of manufacturing tolerance is that amount of variation which is acceptable and which cases no functional difference. Good designs have wider manufacturing tolerances, so as to minimize rejects, or the need for greater precision than might otherwise be necessary. Some producers of parts like hubs locate 3 out of 4 bearing shoulders, and use something like a wavy washer to zero out axial play without the danger of excessive axial preload.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.