Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Your Motivation For Becoming Car-Free or Car-Light

Why are you, or were you, car-free or car-light? What motivated you to take that step?

There are threads here from people wanting encouragement to become car-free or car-light ... maybe sharing what motivated those of us who have gone that route will encourage others.

[HR][/HR]

For me, being car-free or car-light, or simply opting to walk or ride my bicycle somewhere rather than drive, is mainly a fitness thing. It's a great way to get a few more minutes of exercise into my day. Both my walks to and from work recently, and my cycling to and from work back when I was car-free, added up to 40 minutes a day. That's almost half of the recommended 90 minutes of exercise a day, and was a very enjoyable part of my day.

We've just moved, and I am now 4 km from work. Once I get a little bit more settled, I'm hoping to either take the bus to work and then walk home, or ride my bicycle to and from work. It'll be a good way to get in shape and stay in shape!

A secondary aspect is that I simply don't like driving, dealing with traffic, trying to find places to park, etc. I'd rather not deal with that sort of hassle.

And thirdly, if it saves me a bit of money ... wonderful! More money for travels around the world.