Old 10-13-13, 04:40 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
I came across this from Ontario's Highway Traffic Act. Does 148(6) suggest that I can't take the lane if it's impeding faster traffic? It's news to me. Is this a common provision in other jurisdictions? Can anyone explain what 'turn out to the right' actually means?

Rules for Passing
According to the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, vehicles travelling on Ontario's roadways must pass each other safely. Faster vehicles must yield to slower moving vehicles on the road. All vehicles must appropriately position themselves for safe passing.

Section 148(6), states "Every person on a bicycle or motor assisted bicycle who is overtaken by a vehicle or equestrian travelling at a greater speed shall turn out to the right and allow the vehicle or equestrian to pass and the vehicle or equestrian overtaking shall turn out to the left so far as may be necessary to avoid a collision."

Section 148(8), states "No person in charge of a vehicle shall pass or attempt to pass another vehicle going in the same direction on a highway unless the roadway, (a) in front of and to the left of the vehicle to be passed is safely free from approaching traffic; and (b) to the left of the vehicle passing or attempting to pass is safely free from overtaking traffic."
I believe this has to mainly do with roads with multiple lanes in one direction. In my area there are lanes incorporated into some stretches of rural highways with single lanes to turn out and allow swifter traffic to move ahead. Farm vehicles and other slow moving vehicles can turn out and drivers who prefer to go slower can also.

This isn't a bicycle ordinance, it's a general traffic regulation not specificly aimed at bike lanes.