Thread: Hit & Run
View Single Post
Old 10-15-13, 07:34 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
HEY, I do that all the time!

Riding in bicycle lane (separated) takes me about an hour to get to work. There are lots of pedestrians not watching, women pushing children in those kids trolleys (they love taking whole bike lanes!), cars pulling in and out, with commercial billboards placed so they block view to coming cyclists etc. So the sane speed on bicycle lane is about 10 - max 15 km /h.

When I ride in the road, I keep steady 30+km/h, while being safe and not much slower than traffic in my lane (I use the slower, right lane, on double lane each way roads). So i come 30 minutes faster - 25 to 35 minutes, depending on traffic lights. Pisses some drivers off, but is faster and quite safe (never had a single accident so far).

This......+1.
Abandon the bike lane for the auto lane due to slow cyclists, pedestrians, city busses, etc.
I love having the facilities for newer cyclists, but oftentimes forgo them, myself.
Depends on conditions and location.
And whether I am by myself, pulling kids behind, or riding with family or other less confident cyclists.