View Single Post
Old 10-18-13, 07:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier

Your earlier comment...

...confuses me slightly. I always thought you were supposed to have zero play in bearings. Would a tiny amount of play like >1/16" be acceptable?
Some bearings are designed with a slight end play being needed. There was a recent thread about this aspect of many radial contact cartridge bearings. Some bearing "systems" are not very well made and so the adjustment is "as good as possible" (as yours seems to be).

What is not being said (yet) is whether it's better (whatever that means) to have a bearing running a bit too tight or too loose. I have been of the opinion that a too tight bearing will Brinell or fret and result in surface damage far greater then a slightly loose one. Perhaps some think that a loose bearing will result in a denting of the surfaces (the hammering action of loose parts under impacts) but I don't think I've seen this unless the slop was WAY TOO MUCH.

I'd be interested in what other experienced people think about this question. Whether it's The hub is made from at least three pieces, but is a lot nicer (nicer looking, anyways) than any BSO hubs from the past twenty years. And pretty smooth. I am taking your advice and setting it as good as I can get it both play- and friction-wise. I think it will have to be slightly tighter than I have it now. I will mount it up and see how it feels.better to run a bearing on the tight or loose side, all things being equal? Andy.