View Single Post
Old 10-18-13, 09:24 PM
reptilezs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Thanks for the post. Even if it doesn't work all the time, it's nice to have another tool in the box for this truly PIA job.

I've removed about 2 frozen posts since my first in 1969. I've tried and used just about every trick in the book, and none have a great track record, but one way or another I've gotten them out.
i have use quite the variety of techniques to get out stuck seatposts. some are easy to get out some very difficult. the difficult ones seem to have special circumstances or requirements. thin frame tubing, thin post(easy to break if too much force applied). for this most recent one i started off with oil then tapping the post with a hammer every few hours to vibrate and let the oil soak in. two days in i tried the pipe wrench and that was a no go. flipped it upside down and put in some more oil. bought the freeze off, hosed the post for 30 seconds and cranked on it with the pipe wrench again, it popped and turned slightly. still very hard to turn. broke the top of the post off in the bench vice and moved on to the stem and vice grip as noted in the first post.