Old 09-25-05, 09:45 PM
TheRCF
Da Big Kahuna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR
It was a nice day in Hawaii, and a great ride. I just got back and enjoyed seeing all the riders on the road with police controlling traffic at the intersections for the benefit of the riders. As you know, there was a big contingent of 1,400+ from Japan. I hope you had a great ride also.
I have some questions for you, assuming you have done this ride before (its my first time and my first group ride). Other questions many people may have answers for, so read on.

I did the whole century. Did pretty well, I guess, for me anyway. First half was pretty good. My average speed was 15.6 mph - best ever for that distance (old record was 15.0, but that was by myself). On the other hand, I lost speed every time I stopped at an aid station for food and water - having to walk the bike a fair distance in and out took its toll, plus we started slow with the large mass of riders - I was constantly having to touch the brakes to keep from getting too close to people - and I was just trying to keep a steady cruise, not push hard. So maybe all that balances out.

Coming back, the sun came out, besides being hotter, you know how tough that Hawaiian sun is when it is right on you. You can just sit in the sun and sweat, but even getting in the shadow of a telephone pole make a big difference. Well, just before I hit 60 miles, I started having trouble - and maybe people have suggestions:

First my right calf muscle started trying to cramp up so a lot of my focus was spent trying to keep it relaxed.

Shortly afterwards, after stopping at the aid station at 60 miles, that calf seemed better (not right - just better), but the left calf started doing the same thing.

Also, sometime around then, maybe a little before, my right tricep got really sore. It has always done this on long rides. Used to be around 35-40 miles. Took longer this time. This was, overall, my biggest problem. That think REALLY HURT and I still had 40 miles to go! It did not go away no matter what I did until I got to relax at home.

Just over a mile from the end, the muscle in my left upper leg suddenly started trying to cramp up - bad enough that I quickly pulled over and massaged it some. I finished the last part of the ride trying to keep three muscle groups from cramping up, plus was in a lot of pain in my tricep.

SO, MY BIGGEST QUESTION: What do I need to do to minimize those leg muscles cramping? I did make it a point to eat bananas at the aid stations, which I thought were supposed to help.

SECOND QUESTION is whether there is something I can do about the tricep. It's always the right side, never the left.

Oh, my final average speed was 14.4. My fastest century before (of two) was 11.9, solo, but with no walking the bike, or being slowed down by the mob - but with some pretty long rest stops.

As for the race itself, if you have done it before, I was wondering how this year compared, especially based on the following facts:

No wind to start and even as winds increased a little later, they really weren't trade winds. Of course, less wind in your face is a plus on most rides, especially when I usually ride before sunrise. But no tradewinds means it is hotter AND more humid. Add the sun beating right on you when the clouds went away, and it just drained me. Heck, that sun can drain you just walking around casually or even sitting in it!

So, if you have done this before, would you prefer some more wind rather than the higher temp and humitidy?

On, if you did the full century, what mileage did your computer show? Mine only showed 96 miles (didn't matter as I did some extra riding to and from the bus stop which more than compensated), but I'm wondering if my computer is off or the route was off. A 4% error is pretty big. Actually, it would be more since, in my opinion, using the aid stations should not count in the distance.