Old 10-20-13, 03:26 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Only real crash I have had, heading down Mount Diablo from the summit, around a blind turn. I was definitely over the limit of 15mph at this point, but nothing super crazy as I am a fearful descender (moreso now...). As I come around the blind right, a car going the other direction decided that a blind uphill turn would be a good time to pass a cyclist heading up the mountain, and our worlds collided. He just slammed on his brakes rather than swerve and hit the guy going uphill, while I locked the rear and slid into his car and bounced off and rolled a few times. Somehow my right calf took almost all of the blow when I bounced off the car, because aside from a couple tiny scrapes on my hand I was mostly unscathed. Couldn't move my right leg for about a month though, no break, just a HUGE bruise. No work for 6 weeks, very limited walking, I could barely get around on crutches, but nothing broke! All that taught me was that I was right about not liking going downhill... I'd rather climb.