Old 10-20-13, 06:18 PM
GaryinLA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was sitting at a window with bike rack on other side. i thought i was keeping an eye out on the bike.
one minute my bike was there. next minute or it seemed, other bike was there with broken chain and mine was gone. there are many situations even security conscious bikers like me dont have their biked locked up. ie if we run into a store and leave it inside near the front. or if we are running into donut store and have it parked in plain view right outside on other side of window. on many group rides i do if theres a stop ie for lunch and its possible to keep bikes in plan view many bikers dint lock up and dont have a lock. in the wendys situation - my cars not running well. i wanted to pick up a bike from my mechanic, can only get to him on sats. i was runnning late due to street festival blocking where i live. so rather than take metro and walk to metro and lbs i rode a bike. outside lbs i locked this bike up using both my locks intending to go back for it later. intended to take univega directly home no stops so thought no locks were ok. then i got thirsty biking home. decided to stop at wendys briefly and figured if i sit at table by window in front of bike rack and keep eye out for my bike thats ok. nobodys perfect using locks 100 % of time. im near perfect but this situation threw me. some other siuations bike isnt locked- at beach bike path i take into bathroom but not in my view at urinal. at donut store for quick stop for drink its in view on front but my back is turned when i pay cashier. i think from now on ill gave a 100% locking policy. i was near 100% before but not perfect. situation of no car and 1 bike on shop and i had to get it out before lbs closed, otherwise bike would be there 3 weeks due to my travel and work sched. left me with 2 locks on 1 bike and no locks on bike i was going home on. i opted not to use only 1 lock on the other bike since it would have left wheels exposed to theft.