Old 10-25-13, 06:24 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
That section in Leucadia is also the "surfboard zone". I can't tell you how many times I've ridden by when a surfer with his board under his arm suddenly turned 90 degrees to talk to someone, thus sticking the back end of his board 3 feet out into the road right in front of my bike.
I call that "getting Stooged". I once called out to one surfer "hey! Watch it Moe!" It happened to me on the San Juan Creek path heading in to Doheny. Teenaged girl had board on head when she turned to talk to her freind. I barely managed to duck under it. I doubt she under stood why I called her Moe.

Another note on dooring. Many do not realize the scope of the danger in this. When a cyclist collides with a door, there is a high probability of the strike being to the right side of the handle bar. This will jerk the wheel hard to the right, causing the bike to lean left, throwing the rider off the bike into oncomming traffic. This is a scenario that has caused several fatalities.

Originally Posted by Chaco

Here's an image from 101, near Chesterfield Drive, where a cyclist was stopped for not riding FRAP. The officer clearly didn't take into account the door zone. Note that in this section, if you are in decent shape, you are moving at between 25 mph and 30 mph. The ONLY place I ride is where the red line is when I'm at this location. I have no intention of being forced into the door zone by some driver who can't be bothered to get into the left lane. Note also that there are no sharrows here, nor is there a bike lane. I have avoided serious injury at least 3 times right at this location by taking the lane when clueless drivers opened their door right as I passed by.
Notice my contribution to the graphic. Though in the best shape in my life, I am by no means a world class athlete, and can do 25-30 here (about 2-3% down grade). I also do 15-20 on that sharrow section of 101 Leucadia.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 10-25-13 at 07:54 AM.