Thread: My First Ride
View Single Post
Old 09-26-05, 01:54 PM
Palsdude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK Ride #2 is in the bag, and as I get older I seem to get wiser. I learned lots today.

First, I learned that I read my cyclometer wrong and was not as fast as reported here. The first ride was 6 miles at an average speed of 8.85 miles per hour. I could care less about speed, I just wanted to survive it.

Second, I learned that gravel roads suck..... We had over 2 inches of rain over the weekend, and the roads though not muddy were soft. Miles 2-4 were on a road that felt like I was riding on a pillow top matteress. There was no coast at all, pedal or fall over........ it sucked.

That being said, when I finally got to the blacktop, I went an extra .6 of a mile just to compare the surface to the gravel and decided that I am going to haul the bike to the hard surface until I get into better shape, or the road gets firm.....

And finally, I have learned that bike seat techonology may have come a long way, but they were not thinking of my @ss when they designed seats. All in all my butt is not sore, tender, but not sore. I rode the same route, but added .6 of a mile to it and covered it in a longer/slower time, but I blame it on the surface.

I got off the bike at the end of the ride and my thighs were all done. I could barely get down the stairs to the basement to type this. I do however feel great and think that I have found a form of exercise that I can live with........

Thanks again for the support, it is apreciated.