View Single Post
Old 10-26-13, 10:43 PM
Wiggles_dad

Bikes: '8x Casati Monza, Gunnar Sport, Surly Karate Monkey, Obed Boundary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am a cyclist, a runner, and a health enthusiast. However, I am also a former bodybuilder and "meat head." This thread caught my attention because the lingo "eating clean" provoked nostalgia to my former days when I gave little though to actual health and was a self absorbed narcissist that cared about getting "huge" and "ripped." The fact that I had 4% body fat and was strong and muscular gave me the false pretense that I was a certified health expert and I could tell everyone how to eat and how to work out. I'm sorry for digressing but take it from me, I used to preach this doctrine and it is all wrong!

Yes, if "eating clean" is not eating junk, then it is good for you. But please do yourself a favor, pay little attention and give little credibility to advice from bodybuilders and bodybuilder culture. The culture is loaded with fads, lore, and pseudo Science. While some of the advice given may be healthy, the dogma of small, high protein, low glycemic, meals throughout the day is not grounded on hard Science. Rather, it is the result of a distortion of facts (some of which sound reasonable), anecdotal folk-lore, and toxic marketing and advertising.

Nobody argues that eating a diverse source of whole, unprocessed foods in moderate quantities is the right thing to do. I just offer caution when following diets with dogmatic rules and advice from people that are validated by superficial measures. Eat healthy and stay active.