Old 10-29-13, 09:04 PM
Chombi 

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experience with Stronglight A9 headsets since the eayly 80's on my Peugeots had been the same as John's. It's as "bulletproof" as they can be, with adjustment that holds for decades without attention. The requirement for a bit of preload on the bearings is normal to A9s and was never an issue with any of my and my brother's bike's handling.
I also installed a Miche Primato needle bearinged headset on my Alan Carbonio two years ago, and so far it has performed on the bike just as well as my A9s (haven't had yo readjust it yet after the initial bedding in adjustment after the first ride.). I suspect that it's because it's a close copy of the Stronglight A9 and Delta headsets, which IMO, the best components that the French bicycle le industry ever designed! So I would not hesitate using the Miche version again on another bike in the future. They are a good bargain too, compared to A9s, as the can be found new at eBay for 40 bucks or even a little less..