Old 10-31-13, 10:00 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
You are right, there is no reason one gear will feel easier than another if they are the same gear combination. Steady speed in either a big-big or small-small of the same gear ratio will take the exact same power and cadence.
ok- so we are actually in agreement?

that basically means that we agree that half of this perpetually repeated statement is wrong?
50x15 would suit Time Trial/Pursuit riders more due to the larger chainring, that is slower to accelerate but easier to maintain your average cadence (pedalling rpm), whereas your cadence will be obtained quicker with the smaller 47x14 chainring setup as the smaller chainring enables a much quicker acceleration hence this technique is better for short distance/sprinters.
lets start disproving the other half!

Brian, you clearly have a far superior grasp on the science behind your arguments about this- so can you break it down for the dumb dumbs (me)?

you are not taking the normal approach i hear argued, usually a simple "its easier to get on top of the gear when you use a small ring".

tell me if i have this wrong- but your theory is based on the system holding more energy, due to the fact that the chain in the small/small gear combo is moving faster relative to the chain in the big/big gearing?
i just cant see the tiny increase inertia of the faster moving chain having any noticeable effect when compared to the massive inertia of the wheel...

Also- i often hear that the small/small gear combinations are "easier to start".. can your Chain-Speed-Inertia theory be applied to a Standing Start?

if all this science is technically correct- but does not add up to any amount of gain on a bicycle- then using the science to justify your gear choice is a total cover up for what is obviously a decision made for other reasons...

So far the only compelling argument i have heard for Small/Small gearing is because Bobby says to do it.. that guy is a bad ass!

Last edited by Quinn8it; 10-31-13 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typos