Thread: Side visibility
View Single Post
Old 11-10-13, 09:46 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Lieren
Thanks, everyone! Keep the ideas coming!

I do have a light currently mounted to my handlebars that can allegedly be mounted on a helmet, so I'll experiment with that. I have to say my biggest concern is people turning left who fail to see the trailer behind me (followed by people at stop signs not registering the trailer).
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that shining a bright light in someone's face isn't going to help them to see the trailer, or anything else for that matter, any better. I think it might work in some situations, such as when alerting cars from a distance that approaching a stop with perpendicular traffic that does not stop (because they're rapidly 'head-checking' and focusing attention further down the road than where you might be), but at a 4-way stop, I'd be leery of blinding them (or otherwise impeding their vision) before they see and understand the situation. They may see you, ID you as a bike, avert their eyes, wait for you to pass (as a bike, one bike length) and not realize that you're pulling a trailer before they proceed.

That said, I don't think the chances of a collision in that situation are great one way or the other, and that the greatest benefit is to be gained from being visible to the threats you don't perceive. You simply cannot 'face flash' every car, pedestrian, or cyclist you cross paths with, and even trying is a royal PITA.

I think active side marking light is the way to go. Reflectors are nice, but do nothing for pedestrians or ninja cyclists blowing through stops.