View Single Post
Old 11-14-13, 06:29 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Actually the issue has little to do with speed, and the same kind of things often happen to motorcyclists. This accident is common enough that motorcyclists give it a name - SMIDSY or Sorry mate, I didn't see you. IMO the attached video is required viewing for anyone riding on two wheels on public roads.

There's also the issue of human vision and perception when we scan. Essentially, when scanning the brain doesn't see a continuum, but a series of discrete images that it stitches together to form the illusion of a constant moving scan. Bicyclists present a narrow enough profile that we can fall between the images, so when they're stitched together we're not there.

Some time ago, a Brit produced a good video that demonstrated how and why we fall between the cracks of human perception. I'd link to it, except that I lost the source and haven't been able to find it. If anyone here knows of it or can find it, I'll give them a free bottle of Chain-L if they post the link.

Understanding that even very conscientious drivers may not see us is critical to riding safely. Don't assume you're seen, do what's necessary to be sure you're seen.
Hmm, this one?

I've always gotten a kick out of this one as well:
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498