carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
Jesus Christ Carleton!
Is there a top level USA sprint coach you haven't worked with?
hope you find what you are looking for...

ok- my stance on "one leg drills" was more directed at what i saw the OP doing in the video, and training advice given by Friel in the cyclist training bible and people who use power cranks... i don't think there is any benefit to pedal mechanics by riding 1 leg at 90rpm.. I am sure that there are one leg drills that serve a purpose

Now where you and I greatly disagree is the bit about the "incremental gains"-

in my eyes incremental gains- especially in regards to training (not so much for equipment and aero gear) is the last resort in a program, usually to get every bit of potential out of an elite rider. there is so much to be gained from a simple program that most of us could never maximize the potential. I feel that the tricky bits, complex training, complicated gym moves, and tendency to overthink gearing and other minor aspects of bike racing is a distraction from the real reason most of us aren't getting faster... and its likely a tactic used by coaches to justify why your last $400 a month program didn't work, but theirs will...
Quinn, I see you taking jabs at me and it's OK. But, it's noted

I found what I was looking for...knowledge and wisdom from those who have done way more than I could ever imagine. I came into the sport with an open and curious mind. I've picked the brains of even more coaches and athletes whose programs I didn't follow. I noted the themes, similarities, and differences...and I asked LOTS of questions. I've read many of the books that many coaches cite as their influences (periodization, reverse-periodization, weight training, advanced weight training, track and field athletic training, yadda, yadda). I literally think I've read every thread on FGF. I totally nerd out on this stuff.

I hold USA Cycling Racing, Officials, and (almost) Coaching licenses. I passed the exam for coaching, but I didn't want to pay $100 for the mandatory background check because I had no intention of using the license to work as a coach. I just wanted the information in the coaches license training manuals

I have every workout that ever assigned to me. I've reviewed them over and over. I've used a power meter since 2010 and I have just about every power file I've ever created. I've poured over the files. I've talked a bit with Andrew Coggan and Rich Voss about power data. (Voss helped me A LOT just by looking at 1 file of mine. Genius.) I talked a lot with Jeff Hopkins at DLV (this guy -- man, he's lived it all and has stories from the world-level track and roadie world). I've talked to Tiemeyer a whole lot over the years about his experiences and how he does what he does (that guy is a national treasure). When people who knew more than me talked, I listened and took notes

I'm an equipment nerd, too. I've raced bikes from the Planet X to the LOOK 496 and many in-between and can give detailed reviews of all of them. I've tried all kinds of cranks, crank lengths, bars, aerobars, etc...to see for myself.

I went all-in...mind, body, soul (and wallet). I was never a "national-level" racer. I never won a national championship, just a couple of team sprint accolades (regional elite championships, masters nationals 4th and 5th, and 1 track record). I came to realize that I was best at standing starts, 30-second power...and eating Oreos

So, back on topic...

I don't think Power Cranks were useful either. Those would be on the far end of one-legged drills. The benefits are there, but I think that those limited benefits can be gained quickly. Full-on with power cranks is overkill.

For those wondering, power cranks are a ratched, left-right independent crank system that forces each leg to push/pull the entire pedal stroke independently of each other. Here they are installed on a spin bike for example:

I also agree with you that for beginning athletes, a basic program is best. But, I'd like to stress that getting a proper bike fit and learning the right pedal strokes now will pay off later. If anything, there won't be bad habits that will have to be retrained later. Pros make pedaling look easy because, for them, it is easy. It takes time to learn to make it easy.

Pedal strokes are very important, especially in track racing. I think it was "Issac" on FGF that pointed out 5 or 6 pedal strokes that one might employ on different occasions.

Last edited by carleton; 11-19-13 at 12:24 AM.