Old 11-21-13, 03:16 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tcpasley
I'm planning to build a 700c disc wheelset for a cyclocross frame, using 32h SRAM X9 hubs and Velocity A23 rims. I want the wheels to be laterally stiff with DS/NDS (disc side, non-disc side) spoke tension as even as possible, so I was thinking about using the O/C version of the A23 rims.

I know that O/C rims have typically been used improve spoke tension balance for rim brake rear wheels to better handle the effects of drive torque. Would a similar approach be worthwhile to deal with disc wheel braking torque, especially for front disc wheels?

The SRAM X9 hubs already address this issue in part by having 58mm dia. left flanges and 45mm dia. right flanges. Do y'all think that provides enough balance in spoke tension?

As always, any suggestions are appreciated, especially if they're based on actual experience. I have a set of WTB Dual Duty FR wheels (28mm wide rims = heavy), but I'm running them with cantilevers, so I don't yet have any experience running disc brakes.

We've built a number of O/C F&R A23 disc wheelsets and had great results. I'd recommend it.