View Single Post
Old 11-21-13, 05:42 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
So, pouring over my files during one season, I noticed that my Max Speed as Man1 Team Sprint was HIGHER than my Max Speed in the flying 200M on the same day.

I thought, "Surely that's just a peak. The average over 200M is faster in the flying effort..."

So, I took a 12" section of both efforts. (I use 12" for any Flying 200M wither I do 11.5 or 12.5" to stay consistent). The 12" slice of the Standing 1 Lap effort was faster than the 12" slice of the flying 200M. WUT?

Voss confirmed what I had been experiencing. I was getting "burned up" during my wind ups. I was burning glycogen (turbo juice) during my windup and firing at a diminished rate during the jump for the 200M start line.

Think of the normal f200M windup being like a fighter jet that flies at a high speed then dumps fuel into burners and turns on the after burners. That takes a lot of fuel. My standing start efforts are like a rocket taking off from the ground. I was consistently the same or faster from 0 MPH. The numbers didn't lie.

So, being that I couldn't do a "Standing Flying 200M" in comp, I adjusted. I relaxed during my 2.5 lap windup and never tapped into my glycogen stores...then when the time came, I did what was essentially a low speed Standing Start into my Flying 200M. It worked.

This probably won't work for most people. I think I have a really high percentage of fast twitch muscle fiber and a very low percentage of "fatigue resistant" fibers. I generally suck in any event over 1 minute, group rides, road rides, etc... If I had a better mix of fatigue resistant fibers, then I could do a more conventional windup and probably faster than with this windup.