Old 11-22-13, 05:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Of course I do and even noted there was no need to even perform the polygraphs. Simply asking the question of each person will provide a significant amount of information for the police.

The innocent are likely to say, no problem.s
The guilty guy is likely to get nervous, back away, etc.

This is a very dangerous and slippery slope. It implies that those who defend their rights must be guilty. Cop wants to search your trunk during a traffic stop, if you say no (which is your right) you must have some contraband in there. Cop wants to enter your home? only guilty people would say no.

I make it a point not to surrender right willy nilly, and urge all those interested in preserving those rights to defend them a every opportunity -- guilty of anything or not. I'm not saying don't cooperate with the police when it's appropriate, just don't waive rights without considering the implications.

Some years ago, I was stopped for speeding in "cocaine alley" on the New Jersey Turnpike. The officer took my info, then came back with a story about cocaine alley, and that many of the men they stopped were running drugs, and would I mind if he checked my trunk. I politely explained that I was sympathetic to stopping the flow of drugs, but wasn't willing to waive rights that folks fought and died for, but had a counter proposal --- double or nothing. I let him search the trunk, if he finds anything he gets a drug bust, if not, he lets me walk on the speeding.

He thought about this for about 1 minute, decided I was a wise guy, and didn't have anything to search for, and would just write the original speeding ticket. When he came back, he asked me if that line ever worked, and I told him he was the first time I tried so No. But one thing I've learned is that if you engage cops as humans they respond in kind, and he ended up writing me up for a much lower speed.

Side story aside, I understand that police must use some gray area tactics, but I don't have to like it, and prefer that they make cases without resorting to these methods. But most of all I hate the notion that only guilty people stand on their constitutional rights.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.