10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruby13
Just came across this thread and since I hit 65 in September thought I would join in. The prior poster 10wheels I know of from the weight an mileage thread and hope to get my mileage up to his levels. To give more of my background here goes.
Was an active golfer and mountain biker till my early 50's when my back which always gave me problems really started going bad and the back operations began. Two years ago I was now on disability and my golf hobby was gone when my neurosurgeon suggested I start riding a bike again to build up my lower back and hip muscles but road biking only. In 2011 I did 400 miles mostly on a hybrid until I bought my Cannondale Synapse the end of that year. In 2012 I did 4400 miles and my goal was 6000 miles for 2013. Unfortunately after almost 1300 miles by April of this year the back went out again which necessitated putting two titanium rods in my lower back this past June.
The road back has been slower than I had hoped with only 200 miles since mid September. Part of the problem has just been getting into shape again but the onset of cold weather has just been a killer for me in just getting my back to loosen up. The good news is this Friday I go down to my South Florida home from NY and hoping the warm weather kick starts my mileage and conditioning again. My riding buddies are waiting for me and average in age from 63 to 72.
Hope to be a useful contributor here.
Florida seems to be the only warm area right now. 43*F and raining here all day.