View Single Post
Old 12-01-13, 12:01 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
Two things come to mind. First, your right hand is doing virtually all the shifting and this would usually require your right wrist/hand position to be quite different from the opposite hand. Second, depending upon the specific ergonomics of your handlebars, your wrist/hand may not be in a neutral position when in the drops; this could cause the glove pads (I assume your gloves are padded) to actually apply more pressure to one of the nerve paths. I've also found
gloves that are a bit tight to cause numbness which could be exacerbated by the different position of the right hand versus left.
Originally Posted by Beaker
A couple of additional thoughts. First, you may have more of a death grip on the bars than you realize when you're in these situations (group rides or races I assume) - consider trying to deliberately loosen your grip a little. The other point is that you may have more weight on your hands than you realize. If you can maintain a light grip on the bars when you're in the drops without using your arms to support your torso (your core should be doing more if that) you might stave off the numbness in your hand.
This!

A slight adjustment may be in order.
Have you been fitted, & have you been back to tune it?
Sometimes after we ride a while, our bodies becomes stronger, & it throws our fit off a bit.

Last edited by Ghost Ryder; 12-01-13 at 12:04 PM.