Old 12-01-13, 03:15 PM
wsbob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wsbob
Has anyone reading here had an opportunity to read the police report for this collision, or have links to local news stories that may have been written about the collision? I'm wondering why, aside from an apparently incorrect conclusion on the troopers' part that the cyclist wasn't riding far enough to the right side of the road, the trooper didn't find that conditions called for the driver to be cited for colliding with someone the driver approached from behind. In addition to the story on the court outcome, following the link in the OP's post leads to a piece by By Gary Harty: 'Cycling Law and the Roadways', in which, among other things, he says (fourth paragraph down),

"...And as I sat through the continuing examinations and cross examinations, I thought of the “common sense” notions that I believed should be the foundation of law. As a new driver, I learned from Denver Police Officers that if a driver ran into the car in front of them there would be a presumption of guilt found upon the trailing driver. ..."

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
As usual, a lot of thread outrage and speculation based on a one sided report from an interested party, with no actual evidence of what actually occurred at the accident site. Perhaps the cyclist really was a victim of a reckless driver and a wacky law enforcement organization, maybe not. Without any facts who actually knows what precipitated the collision. The actual police report or news reports about the collision, not just what happened in the ER, might shed some light on this incident.
In a search 'cyclist collision' of the Denver Post and the Daily Camera, I didn't manage to bring up articles about this particular collision. A lot of articles though, about other collisions between bikes and motor vehicles in Colorado. This brings up questions about what the laws in Colorado regarding road use by people with bikes are, and how well Coloradans understand those laws.