View Single Post
Old 12-02-13, 05:49 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by jazzgeek79
I have no idea if the BB is original or not. I am at least the third owner of the bike. If it is and asymmetric could I measure the spindle on the bike and order the measured size and a size up and then return the one I didn't need? Andrew when you discovered your asymmetrical BB was there a difference of more than one overall size. For example measuring 110, but needing 113 for example.

I just bought a project bike to have two commuters so I wouldn't have this issue and of course this happens before the project bike is finished! Go figure.
One trick I've used (having learned the hard way) is to measure the old spindle from the shell's center line to the end of the RH side. This is 1/2 the length of a symmetrical spindled cartridge one. So if the old spindle is about 60mm from RH end to shell center then a 122 new cartridge BB would be the first I'd try.

Another trick is before you pull off the RH crank arm gage the amount of room between the inner ring and the chain stay. This is to have a handle on how much shorter the replacement spindle might be before the ring would contact the chain stay.

All of this is filtered by the actual amount that the crank arm pulls onto the spindle. This amount is not a fixed amount and can change a small amount over time as the crank arm tapered hole wears and/or the arm is retightened. We are not dealing with exact numbers here. Andy.