Old 12-07-13, 01:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,424 Posts
This is really an issue of using a shotgun to kill a fly. I'm sure there are rude cyclists who lock their bikes anyplace and anyway without regard to whether they're blocking sidewalks or access to buildings. (just the same way some, but not all, drivers double park blocking traffic while they run into stores "just for a minute" on errands).

Adding well designed racks to provide an alternative makes sense when the numbers justify it, and possibly some dialog reminding bicycle parkers to be considerate. If the problem is bad enough banning random bike parking may be a solution. But some signage, the same way it's done for cars is called for, and police blitz campaigns reserved for an absolute last resort, maybe with warnings in advance.

Possibly a smarter last resort approach might be analogous to the automotive boot. Instead of cutting locks and removing bicycles police could add their own, requiring going down and paying the fine to retrieve ones bike.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.