View Single Post
Old 12-08-13, 07:00 PM
HDavidH
David H.

Bikes: 92 Koga-Myata road bike, 07' Gunnar Rockhound 29'er mtb, 06' Kona Cinder Cone 69'er Gravel Bike, Windsor 8 spd IGH steel commuter, 99' Trek 520 tourer, Minnesota 1.0 Fatbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started commuting by bike

After nearly 14 years of working from home, I started a new job 10 weeks ago requiring that i work from the office. A blessing (the job) as contract work was getting too sketchy. So i finally got to join your ranks. I had a rough year financially and had sold my Bianchi Eros that I had built as an upright ride with fenders (among other bikes sold to pay bills) so I took a few weeks to build up a Kona Cinder Cone frame into my new commuter bike. Fridays I'll drive as I make coffee those evenings at a church thing but Monday thru Thursday last week was my first week riding to work. So nice!
Its only 6 miles and change and the bike route on tertiary roads is actually 6 tenths of a mile shorter than the driving route. 25 to 35 minutes at a relaxed pace of 12-13 mph. Its only 5 minutes longer than the evening drive home. Very therapeutic too.
I'll get a picture up. Just put on the studded tires this afternoon.
Thanks for all the great threads folks.
David in metro Detroit.
Here is a pic after changing the handle bars:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
kona_as_commuter.jpg (92.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by HDavidH; 12-13-13 at 06:48 AM. Reason: added a photo