Old 12-08-13, 09:27 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
Whether you would be able to successfully remove a full link and temporarily rejoin the chain with one of the original peened pins I am not sure of. I suspect it would be very difficult to get the mushroomed end back into the opposite outerplate. Like wise, unlike the old style pins that would simply slide out of the inner half link, the peened pins sometimes (but not always) need to be extracted through the inner link. Hence my earlier comments about the use of whatever road side debris I could find to assit with this, in preparation for use of quick link. Fact is, I think the sideplate of my Rap6 multitool has a little slot in it that would probably provide adequate leverage. But, a nail and a reasonable rock would work just as well.
When I have broken a 10 speed chain with the chain tool, the peened portion breaks off and there appears to be a little donut shaped piece of metal because it shears off the peaned portion. I think that the old rivet will insert back into the chain plate. I would think that removing a link and rejoining the chain would be possible but you would need to figure out which pin needs to be replaced later since it would be unsafe to continue to ride any distance with this unpeened pin. Maybe if you could scratch and mark the chain links on either side of the bad pin, you could use this as an emergency repair. There is a park chain tool that can peen the pin and folds to be portable.