Old 12-11-13, 09:43 AM
DrkAngel

Bikes: Various "modded" eZips and multiple econversions

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lightbulb 18650 cells dangerous! ... ?

A couple ES members warned about dangerous 18650 cells!
One, went so far as demonstrating how dangerous they are!
Enjoy ...

"18650 cells dangerous! ... ?

I have to compliment Liveforphysics for trying to prove his point using the scientific method.
First, he considered all the ways, that he believed, that the 18650 cells might be hazardous.
Then he devised tests ... tests that were specifically designed to show 18650 cells burning, exploding etc.

Test #1
18650 cell -
overcharged then
crushed in vise
skewered with a screwdriver
pounded - crushed-mangled by heavy hammer

Test #2
18650 cell -
overcharged then
hyper-charged with V & A
placed under a heat gun
finally with torch applied!

Sadly, for LFP, his failure to demonstrate any hazardous results caused me to consider 18650 cells to be even safer than I had previously believed.

Except for when he applied a torch directly to a cell ... which I don't intend on doing!

It did shake my spirit tho ...
LFP scientifically formed his hypothesis, devised tests to test his hypothesis, diligently performed these tests and noted the findings ... but then ... apparently completely ignored his own results ... by standing steadfast in his assertion that 18650 cells were dangerous and liable to burn and explode???

I'm afraid that he, himself, severely degraded my opinion of him.
After my disappointment wore down and I accepted it ... I was able to watch the 2nd video again and laugh at the "stupidity" of performing flaming-exploding tests in the midst of gasoline cans and nitrous tanks."

Last edited by DrkAngel; 12-11-13 at 04:50 PM.