Old 12-11-13, 01:59 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
Cable routing suggestions for Campagnolo Valentino --> Record FD upgrade?

On one of my current projects, I have a well-used Campagnolo Valentino FD which I would like to upgrade to a Record FD. For those not already familiar with the Valentino FDs, the cable housing mounts directly to the bottom of the derailleur via a step-down ferrule. The frame has braze-ons on both side of the downtube for holding the housing, so using the standard clamp-on Campagnolo cable guide is not an ideal solution. In order to use the Record FD (I already have a period-correct pre-CPSC Record FD), I would need to terminate the cable housing below the FD, perhaps via a clamp-on single cable guide mounted below the FD on the seat tube. However, I'm not sure if that's really the best solution in terms of aesthetics and function (thinking of the angle of the cable around the seat tube). I'm sure Problem Solvers makes something that might do the trick, but I don't want a modern gizmo on this bike. Did Campagnolo make single cable clamp-on guides--something like a chainstay cable guide but for mounting on a main tube? Anyone else find an elegant solution to a similar dilema?

This is the best photo I have of the BB area in question (the braze-ons on the non-drive side match what you can see on the drive-side).

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.