Bandrada
Banned.

Bikes: ...

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6591 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Thanks for the advice folks. I should have mentioned I DID in fact take him to a couple shops, and he sat on the Specialized, and took a good test ride on the Trek. Watching him ride the Trek, it looked to fit him just right, maybe a tad big, and he LOVED it. Of course, as I mention he's coming off something that's definitely too small, so maybe my perception is off. Both the LBS people who thought it looked like a good fit with some room for growth.
It's a tough one--I can see how he'd outgrow it maybe sooner than I expect, but as you say, I want him to have something he loves to ride NOW, since his current bike is far from inspiring.
The shop that sells the Trek has a trade-up program for kids too which might be a consideration. I could buy the cheaper(than the specialized) Trek now, get perhaps a couple years out of it, and then trade up.
Get him the bike that fits. Suspension isn't going to be all that useful at that age, IMO. Plus, both my kids started on fully rigid singlespeeds. I think they are much better for it. I guess what I'm saying is that developing handling skills at the basic level is never a bad thing.

First pic is my 9 y/o on my B6'er FS and the second closest to the camera is my 5 y/o on the BMX Cruiser 46'er.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
boys on bikes.jpg (90.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
boys on bikes(5).jpg (73.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Bandrada; 12-11-13 at 09:17 PM.