Old 12-15-13, 02:03 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MillieKY
Some things I wish I could tell myself, when I was just getting started.

1: It does get easier.

When I started I brought my first bike home rode it around my little cul-de-sac and could barely walk because my legs were so jelly-fied. Now I can go 25ish miles before I even have to think about it, and I've gone much farther. It's common here to read "It doesn't get easier, you get faster," which is true, but only after you get past that initial bump. It can suck in the beginning. But not for very long at all.

2: I haven't lost much weight.

Or rather I have lost weight, but put it back on. My weight has everything to do with my food input. The cycling is great for other things like fitness, state of mind, etc. (I'm currently working on putting a true diet plan together. 2014 looks good. ) My FITNESS has increased exponentially.

3: After a while, it's fun to push yourself to your limit.

Once I got past the "oh my god this is so hard how can I ever and what was I thinking" phase, the exercise part of it became FUN. I took my short (5mile) commute home the other day and now that that is a sub-20min ride I pushed hard the whole way and had my personal best average mph for any ride. Working hard and breathing deeply and pushing past the discomfort feels great.

4: N+1

Oh just bought my first road bike? Must immediately begin looking at a good mountain bike. And a dedicated commuter. And a Surly Pugsly, because why not.

5: Cycling specific clothes are worth it.

At first I refused, and wore sweat pants and tee shirts, or whatever was convenient. But now that I've got a few pairs of cycling shorts and a pair of fleece-lined tundra tights and a cycling jacket, I'd never go back. I still look silly in them, but I am on the bike enough to make it worth it. Comfort is key.

6: I am never, EVER, in a bad mood after a ride.

This includes the commutes where I've had flats, and my Saturday rides where I've gotten caught in the rain. Cycling makes me feel better, and THAT'S why it's my favorite thing.
Excellent points, and thanks for sharing!

Regarding "it gets easier", you are right, it does get easier (I doubt I've gotten much faster!), and I wish there was a better way to describe the situation.

I'm just shy of my third year back on a bike, and I too haven't lost any weight that stayed off. Early on I lost nearly thirty pounds, but I seem to be hungry every three hours now, and I know I use the fact that I'm getting some exercise to eat poorly at times, more than counteracting the good I do cycling. I'm hoping to make a new years resolution (and stick to it!) to eat better.

My girlfriend has come around to N+1 too! At first she questioned why I needed all these different bikes, but now she's got a dedicated tourer, a city bike, and a dedicated mountain bike. If we had more room to store bikes (and more dough!) I think she'd pick up something very clean with an internally geared hub, she really likes the aesthetics of bikes with nothing extra.

Although I wear a mix of cycling clothes, street clothes and athletic clothes, I have to agree that having some bike specific clothes is necessary if you ride regularly or for any real length of time. Cycling undergarments and gloves are most important IMO. I like the stiff soles of cycling shoes as well, but wear ones that are otherwise much like sneakers.

The last one you mention is uncanny. I can get behind the wheel of a car, and within three blocks be ready to shout at people, but it doesn't matter if three idiots almost run me over on my ride in to work, when I'm cycling I'm always even tempered, and often elated or happy.

I have to admit, I haven't really done #3 . Since I've now given up on attempting to go to work full time and be in school 5 days a week, I think I'm going to try and take advantage of not being exhausted all the time and try and push it sometimes.

Nice to hear from an Athena! I've got encourage my girlfriend to join bike forums, she needs to do some research on Athena specific clothing, especially wet weather clothing as we live in Seattle.