Old 12-16-13, 02:19 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maycat
Hello everyone!

I am a tall 270 lb Athena, that is relatively fit but a big girl - I work out during the week and ride on the weekends. My goal is to do the Wildflower Century ride in 2014. Today is my birthday, I turn 43, and yesterday I bought myself a(nother) bike. A very sweet bike, a 2014 Specialized Robouix Sport 105. I have been cycling for the past 2 years off and on. A month ago I had a bad fall on my trusted roadbike,a 1988 David Scott Ironman. I love that bike, but the downtube shifters don't make me feel confident.

Anyway, I am picking up the new bike today. It is my birthday present to myself, as my husband informed me that because all his money will go towards my step-kid's Christmas gifts I won't be getting a birthday or Christmas present from him (love those December birthdays). I am feeling a lot of anxiety about this bike. I feel like how dare I get such an expensive bike? My husband supports me through this, but heck, it is a lot of money. Since I plan on doing the Wildflower Century ride next year. The other riders in my area have commented that the gearing on my Ironman isn't going to work on the hilly portion of the ride. I researched upgrading it but I could get a new bike for what it would cost to upgrade the gearsets and wheels.

I have spent the past month visiting every LBS around, researching bikes, and putting together my budget. I was planning on getting a cheaper Secteur, or find one on Craigslist, but this one showed up yesterday and after riding it, I could not say no to it. I got a great deal, it fits amazing and the LBS is taking good care of me. It is more than I was planning to spend, but financially, I can pull it off.

Today, I am picking up the bike but can't help but feel very guilty about what I am doing. Have any other Clydes or Athenas felt this way?

I am going through the EXACT same range of emotions. I am turning 30 at the end of January and have been eyeballing a new road bike since I smashed my last one in September of this year. My wife and I have had conversation about it, the cost, bills, and the fact we have our second on the way and she won't be working once that baby comes. I am looking at a career change, I lost a lot of weight so most of my clothes don't fit, and we aren't where we want to be financially just yet (not broke, everyone has shoes so relax all....).

However, despite all that, I am feeling like I do not "deserve" a new bike (or anything nice for that matter) but I also know that this will be an investment I will keep around for several years and upgrade parts as needed (or wanted).

Very glad to hear I am not the only one who has struggled with this.

And congrats on the bike, looks frickin' sweet!!