View Single Post
Old 12-16-13, 08:49 PM
RoboIsGod

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wesley36
Another anomaly over here - since Jan 2012 I have lost between 25 and 30 lbs. I have not had to resort to calorie counting, what I have done is change my eating habits. But in the end, that has accomplished the same thing - I eat fewer calories, and I burn more (structured training and all that).

Two key changes diet wise - I self consciously try to eat more fat, and related, I generally try to minimize starchy carbs. Like last night, we made a variant on Korean bibimbap, but I went easy on the rice and heavier on the veg/tempeh/kim chi/seaweed. More satiating, more nutritionally dense, and fewer calories. I am all over adding coconut oil to my morning oatmeal, and lots of avocados and nuts, that kind of thing.

Secondly, and this is the biggest one IMHO, is I have simply changed how I eat. I fill up my plate half full (compared to what I am used to), and I am free to go for seconds and thirds, but I make myself wait 5-10 minutes and have a drink of water before I take another portion. And crucially, I grew up eating until I felt full. I now eat until I am not hungry any more, then I stop eating. When before I occasionally over-ate at parties or restaurants, I now eat until I am full, and I stop, and it feels like a splurge because I am used to eating to satiation. When I used to chronically eat to fullness, a splurge often meant eating until I was downright uncomfortable (food coma at Thanksgiving, etc).

This last couple of years I have been re-learning how to interpret the sensations of hunger and satiation, and the upshot of it is, I don't feel any real sense of deprivation, weight is falling off, and I feel great. But for me the key has been learning the difference between satiation and fullness, and eating to satiation. Then stopping.
This is some really solid advice and almost identical to what I've been doing in order to keep my weight down.