Old 12-18-13, 04:42 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
That is definitely pushing it compared to "average" and you can anticipate spending a lot of your daylight hours on the bike. Before then you should be able to get some shorter mini-tours done to see how well you feel with similar distances.

Back in 1992, I did a cross-USA ride from Astoria OR to Portland ME. The first night was just 12 miles to arrive at Fort Stevens Point, but over the next 16 days I made the following daily stops: Portland/Arlington/Dayton/Lewiston/Lowell+/Missoula/Helena/White Sulpher Springs/Roundup/Miles City/Baker/Mobridge/Aberdeen/Ortonville/Hector/St Paul or 1830 miles in 16 days. I spent some long days in the saddle and had benefit of wonderful tailwinds on the day cycling from Baker MT to Mobridge SD and more tailwinds than headwinds.

I don't think I'd be able to do the same ride now - I still cycle roughly the same speed but my body reacts differently if I try spending 14 hours in the saddle...or try back-to-back-to-back extra long distances.

If I were doing it now, I'd think in advance what my backup plan might be in case of mechanical issues or less favorable weather. For example:
- just taking some extra days to complete the trip
- checking out the Amtrak stations with baggage service so could take train if needed
- checking out airports that might allow 1-way car rentals to use these if needed
I wouldn't necessarily activate the backup plan - but keep it in the back pocket as well as having trained enough for extended time riding and having worked my way up to shakedown ride with equivalent distances.

An additional consideration that makes your challenge tougher than mine is that by end of September the days will be getting shorter.

Last edited by mev; 12-18-13 at 04:45 PM.