Old 12-18-13, 09:12 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My only car-bike crash was when I was in college, so a long time ago, probably 1973 or '74. Probably Spring, wearing shorts and a T-Shirt, hit by an old man in a Ford Country Squire (remember those?). Hit me broadside (didn't stop at the stop sign though probably did slow down). He looked to be 70 or 80 so he just didn't see me; well, until I was on his hood.

Took me right off the pavement and rolled me (and my bike!) onto the hood of the Ford, I scraped my back horribly going across the windshield wipers, but otherwise just minor road rash and no broken bones.

I've had close calls including one a couple days ago. I was riding up the road on my way home from work, coasting between cars parked along the side and cars stopped at a traffic signal. Three teenage girls were walking towards me on the sidewalk. I noticed Scion FRS starting to move out (i.e. into the right-hand turn lane, out of the traffic line), the girls screamed, probably sure I was going to get hit, but I braked hard and missed the Scion, no harm done. The girls just looked kind of stunned as I rode by. Funny stuff!

Well, it could have been tragic but since it wasn't, and because of the screaming girls, it was funny .

Rick / OCRR