Old 12-21-13, 07:33 AM
SmallFront

Bikes: Bullitt Milk Plus with Alfine 11s; Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just discovered the problem of hills and weight pertaining to cadence the other day.

I am not a spinner, I tend to stand up in a heavier gear rather than sit down in a lighter gear. At first I thought "well, people say you can only push down with platform pedals", and as I have platform pedals I first thought I would have to live with it.

Then I realised that when sitting down, I don't just push down. I have spikes on my platform pedals for a reason and since I have the pedal axle under the ball of my foot I actually push forward and pull to the rear as well. Now, I can't pull up with platforms, but I don't need to, as when one of the feet is in that position, the other is in the "push down" position. This is most evident when I have things in the cargo box, that aren't tied-down - such as my daughter, lol.

In any case, I am currently "retraining" myself to have a more "smooth" cadence, which works, but I have to be concentrating on it because I am not used to it.

As for camping gear, I am not a weight weenie, but I do have an awful lot of lightweight gear (titanium etc.). I think of it as having reasonably lightweight gear allows me to bring more per pound. So if my sweet spot is, say, 35lbs, I can carry a larger tent, a better sleeping pad, a better sleeping bag, proper tools (I think I'm through with small bike multitools), and the necessary items for a good cup of coffee. Or, hell, more water.

If I went with heavier stuff, I would simply have to cut out a lot of items. I have yet to actually tour on my cargo bike, but I have tried packing my stuff on it, and I drive my daughter around on a daily basis, often with quite a bit of shopping added up and down hills constantly.

Last edited by SmallFront; 12-21-13 at 07:38 AM.