Old 12-21-13, 07:37 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Do you enjoy going fast or do you enjoy getting there? I know a couple people that refer to their touring bikes as the carbon or titanium bikes that they use for credit card touring. To them it is a touring bike because it has a rack and a rack top bag. They are shocked that I would tour on a bike that is 10 or more pounds heavier than theirs, even more shocked that I would carry a tent and sleeping bag and cooking gear. It becomes a factor of what type of touring you prefer.

Part of the equation is the tools and spares that would not be needed in an ideal world. But we do not live in an ideal world and suffer untimely equipment failures. If I lose a day because I need something that I do not have to get rolling, to me that is a disaster. Others on this forum have suggested that such events are to be cherished, as it gives you an opportunity to get to know the kind people that went out of their way to help them.

And what is the probability of bad weather vs the probability that you will lug around clothing that you rarely or never wore on a trip? And, would you prefer to shiver for a day to reduce your gear weight?

My point is that each person will have a different philosophy on the importance of light weight vs the importance of having more stuff along.