Old 12-21-13, 11:14 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by mm718
Using the calculator, if I keep the wattage and body weight the same (150 lbs), put in a 6% grade over 20 miles, and our bike + load weights 65 lbs (me) 120 lbs (you) I will arrive 1.5 hours earlier. Although I agree that touring is not a race 90 minutes of extra riding a day is significant. Beyond the extra work one may be creating for oneself with heavier loads there's the extra time in camp it takes to manage all of that stuff (packing/unpacking, sifting through stuff, repairing, maintaining, fiddling....). For me simple is better but viva la difference, it would be pretty boring if we all did it the same way.

Have you posted a gear list? I am curious where your gear weight comes from. For instance, are you planning for multiple contingencies, carrying lots of "luxury" items, lots of clothes?
This strikes me as the logical approach. If you're calculating/estimating the extra time riding at the same effort with more load. Now put a $ value on the extra time, compare against the utility of a given item and there you have it!