View Single Post
Old 12-23-13, 11:07 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Without getting into the politics or trying to define a utopian vision of how cities should work, this thread is basically about a chicken or egg question.
I don't think we need to get into the politics of cycling to realize that the infrastructure is just another failed (and corrupt) government program. I think some here... are too emotionally attached to the concept of a "bicycle centric world" to see the problems for what they are.

Everyday..... structures are built.... and structures fall down and are torn down. The MUP's are temporary... not iconic monuments.

The old fails, falls, dies. Many of the cycling enthusiast here want to use bicycles to solve 1934 era problems. Unfortunately.... those aren't the problems we face in 2013. Non-use... is the threat of todays modern city's. If you have desirable skills.... the type of skills traditionally used in downtown offices... why would you go downtown. Everyone knows most of those functions can be performed from home... or much smaller more efficient satellite offices. Record number of American Cities are in the courts trying to find solutions to their modern problems.

I don't know of even one problem faced by even one city.... that bicycling can solve. Let alone an unused path through some park.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 12-23-13 at 11:13 AM.