View Single Post
Old 12-24-13, 11:04 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chschen View Post
The tutorial I was watching (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLqrhFzW8s0) said that you adjust the limiter screws so that the derailleur is 1 mm from the chain. So it would seem to me that if the derailleur was hitting the chain on the left and right sides, adjusting the limiter screws might help with that. Am I wrong?

Do you have tutorials you recommend?
Imagine your derailleur is an elevator, which hangs from cable. For safety there are switches at the top and bottom of the shaft to keep it from hitting the end. These can also be set to stop the elevator to stop in the right place at the top and bottom floors, but it's really the cable that determines the height of the elevator at each floor.

Likewise, the derailleur limits prevent overshifting beyond the chainrings, but the cage position depends on the cable. However on the innermost chainring the cable is slack so the inner limit also sets the cage for low, much as the lower elevator might set the basement stop position.

I hope that helps.

I can't suggest any single tutorial, but I always suggest watching a few. Sometimes something not covered well on one becomes clear on the second. The point is you want to have a sense of the job in your head, rather than simply following steps by rote.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.