palu
Goathead magnet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clrux
Thank you for the detailed reply.

The majority of my riding will be commuting. This takes place in Boston so agility takes slightly higher presidence than long distance. But having the option for longer distance (weekend trips) in the future works be nice. Based on what you've said, it sounds like a shorter wheel base might be better, and that being said the Surly might be best?

I need to look at the specs for the Aurora again and also test ride it. It sounds promising though.

Edit: after looking at the specs, the Aurora wheelbase is only like an inch longer. Is that big? Does it make a huge difference?

And one more thing, a previous commenter said the Jamis Nova Sport would not accommodate both fenders and a rack, but I called my LBS and they said they've done it before.

Such tough decisions!
Honestly, I think you're way overthinking this. Unless you're a courier looking to zip across town, "agility" isn't going to be a big factor. Just find something that will be comfortable and will have accommodations for fenders and racks. Again, I think this points to something like a Surly LHT.

Regarding what your LBS said, I've seen lots of ghetto rig jobs, so if that's what they're meaning, I'd stay clear and get something that has the proper braze ons.