View Single Post
Old 12-25-13, 11:45 AM
cny-bikeman 
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know how you found that video but don't use it. He leaves a lot out, and anyone who talks about "tuning" brakes and "gears" is starting you off behind by using non-standard terms. That's also part of the lack of clarity in your original post. Rather than talking about "lowest/highest gears" you need to tell us the front/rear (chainwheel/rear cog) combo you are in when adjusting and when the problem occurs.

The low limit screw is set ONLY for the innermost front/rear combo, likewise the high limit is for the outer front rear combo. On both large and small chainwheels it is normal for rubbing to occur by the time you shift to the 8th cog away from the one where the adjustment is made - not all combos are necessarily useable.

I would echo the previous advice that you look and think about what you are doing, observe how things move and interact, rather than following rote instructions. As already mentioned, lots of resources available, most notably at sheldonbrown.com and parktool.com/blog. They will show up near the top of almost any Google search you do for repair procedures. Start though with a search for bicycle parts diagram, so that you can search using the right terms and communicate more clearly when asking questions.

Don't tell me what "should" be - either it is, it isn't, or do something about it.

If you think I'm being blunt take it as a compliment - if I thought you were too weak to handle the truth or a strong opinion I would not bother.

Please respect others by taking the time to post clearly so we can answer quickly. All lowercase and multiple typos makes for a hard read. Thanks!

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 12-25-13 at 05:35 PM.