View Single Post
Old 12-28-13, 10:18 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by donalson
I'm going to need a rear wheel for my tour this spring... I'm still trying to decide what way to go.

I'm heavy at 300# on a heavy 700c disc trucker and I will be carrying a moderate load (honestly unsure as this will be my first tour)... will be camping and cooking... I'll be riding the Katy trail (crushed limestone) with 38c or 42c tires, I do plan on using this for more "normal" touring with something more along 32c tires but I never see using smaller.

budget is a big thing, I'm between deore m525 or XT m756 for the hubs and velocity dyads, chukker, or mavic a719 for a rim...

for spokes I'm leaning heavily towards the DT alpine3 based on comments of some posters here on BF

because of the 135mm disc hubs and limited budget it looks like 36h is where I'm going (40/42h disc hubs jump in price A LOT)

from a straight strength view the Chukker seems like the way to go but looking out towards future tours I wonder about finding long stem tubes, the weight is prob a non factor considering my weight but still something that I think about in the back of my mind.

for hubs I can rebuild and adjust them without problem, weight difference is slim, they have the same hub flange dimensions, the alleged better bearing seals sounds nice but I don't see that as a big benefit from on road touring, is there more to it than that? any other brands to look at?

any thoughts or ideas would be great
thanks
mark
A couple of notes on the spokes. Getting DT Alpine III is often difficult. You usually end up buying an entire box for around $80 and then have twice as many spokes as you need. SJS Cycles in England sells packs of 6 for $7. Shipping is around $15 to Colorado.

An alternative is Pillar spokes. Bdop sells Pillar PSR TB 2015 spokes in packs of 6 for $6.50. Shipping is around $10. The Pillars don't come with nipples, however. I've used them in a recent build and they are pretty good spokes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!