Old 12-29-13, 01:56 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Pushing it all back on the cyclist, eh? I had a right hook done to me when a motorist turned their signal on while they were alongside me. Like motorists, cyclists tend to look straight ahead, and a light mounted on a mirror bracket tends to garner better attention than signals being mounted on the trailer underside or front fender.
If you'd read the poet or the earlier one, you'd have seen that I separated cars from trucks when it came o right hooks. Also I hold that it takes to to tango, so have no problem blaming both parties (along with dumb traffic codes) for many accidents.

In any case, I do push it back to the cyclist, because it boils down to the simple question of who to rely on for our own safety. Given that it MY safety at issue, I have no problem trusting myself over others.

IMO (strictly opinion) cyclists are done a disservice by a culture that emphasizes externals such as helmets and bike infrastructure in safety discussions, while neglecting to remind cyclists that they have to take charge of their safety because no one else can be relied on to do so.

Right of way and assignmnet of fault after an accident are for heirs and assigns, but do nothing to help the victim.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.