View Single Post
Old 12-30-13, 03:22 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Any recommendations on number of days to do a good workout? I'm thinking Tuesday & Thursday plus weekends.
Pretty much what I have planned for the first build phase after base. Tuesdays will be 1.5 hours of SST. Thursdays will be 2x20's or ZCI's (5 minutes "on", 1 minute "off" x 6) above threshold, Saturday will be 1.5 hours SST, Sunday will be team ride which is typically much longer and spans all training zones if you contest the sprints. Some gym work will be mixed in and if it a particularly nice day when I am supposed to not ride I might throw in some active recovery rides. The intensity goes way up versus base, but there is a lot of recovery time built in so a lot fewer hours and miles.

In late January races start and the weekly schedule varies depending on if there is a race coming up.

This is what I am doing, but my racing age will be 60 and it might not apply to a younger guy. And I have no idea if it works for anyone else. This is just what I do.

And I haven't even gotten to the brutish crap a bit later in building (stomps and 1 minute intervals).