Old 01-01-14, 10:03 AM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess this isn't a good time to mention that I'm trying to gain weight?

Like many of you, about a year and a half ago I transitioned to a diet that cut way back on grains, sugars, and processed foods, while increasing healthy fats and protein. It began as just a desire to slightly increase protein, but after a fair amount of time in Pub Med, realized there was more wrong with my diet than just lack of protein. It was a fairly significant shift for my carbo-loading roadie paradigm. I went from roughly 70/20/10 (carb/fat/protein) originally, to now about 25/40/35.

At that point, I had been cycling about 6 years, and for the previous 5 of those years, I held extremely steady at 162-ish. Miles went up, miles went down, I pretty much stayed at 162. I figured it was just my natural sweet spot in terms of weight. So when I started the shift above, it was with ZERO intention of changing my weight. I was quite astounded when I lost 5-6 lbs over the first 5 months. All while my saddle time was at its lowest ever (more track, far fewer endurance road miles). This led to more research, which led to more diet tweaks.

Side note: my blood panel, which was already pretty solid, improved across the board. Preaching to the converted here, but I can't say enough about reducing grains, and increasing protein and fats.

With now adding weights for the first time, it's leading me even further down the rabbit hole. Even with eggs/meat 3x per day, I think I'm probably still a bit lower than ideal on the protein. I'd love to get that from real food, but I think scoops of whey are in my near future.