View Single Post
Old 01-01-14, 12:52 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the answers.. let me define the parameters a bit more.

I'm about 275 lbs and while I like the chukkers there are a few things about them that I don't like. I've always been a bit suspect of their quality because of the way the rims are joined (they're *not* flat at the joints) and when I built them I didn't know as much about wheel building. They have wheelsmith db14's on them and they're certainly strong but they're also very heavy and the depth profile really is noticeable in a strong wind (but only strong wind).

So basically I'm considering what my options are to build a new set of wheels that are:
Stronger (Hopefully at least single eyeletted and double is preferred. I'd go with 40 or 42 hole if I could find the right parts for them.)
Easy to build (This is part of why I want the eyelets. Replacing spokes on the side of the road without having to preload tension MANY times because of spoke twist would be nice.)
Brass nipples - I'm not sure what kind of nipples my current wheel has but they don't look like brass to me.
Possibly a different dynohub (at least a shimano 3n72, a SON 28 if I can afford it, or possibly a PV8 although I don't know how the PV8 will stand up to much use,rain,etc.)
Easy to service - I'd prefer something that's easy to service.