Old 01-01-14, 05:01 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I rarely ride at night... when I do I have plenty of lights. But it isn't terribly unusual for a storm cloud to roll in and darken things enough.... that reflectors could help a cyclist be seen... even more so if it rains.

I keep the "safety equipment" on my bicycles. I even hunt down the proper replacement reflectors for the bikes I restore. I always wear a helmet, and I wear bright reflective clothing when I bicycle as well. The reflectors are required by local law where I live.... a bell is also required by law. The law even details that the bell must be of the two tone style. I don't own a bell... on any of my bicycles.

I think the laws already go too far! I think anyone not smart enough to take basic safety precautions when cycling.... might be causing the gene pool a little pollution. OR they may be smart enough to know that reflectors don't protect cyclist from bad luck, drunkenness, distracted and/or daydreaming drivers. Reflectors or not, bells or not.... every cyclist alive today will die.

Of course.... only a very few of them will die while cycling. That is fortunate for cycling, Bicycle Shops, and bicycle makers. But for serious cyclists.... I think many could imagine worst ways to die.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 01-01-14 at 05:07 PM.